Legend has it that Chioggia was founded by Clodio, who had fled from Troia at the time of that epic war. More realistically, the origins of the city go back to before the medieval period, when inland peoples took refuge on the islands of the lagoon in order to escape the barbarian invasions. These small groups of habitations became cities, among which was Chioggia, and these then united to form the Republic of Venice. In the course of its history, Chioggia was destroyed and reconstructed several times, before finally taking on the appearance it has today.
To walk through the streets of Chioggia today means to plunge into a climate of tradition and centuries-old culture. Entering from the south, one first encounters the old city gate of Santa Maria which goes back to 1520 and which marked the land entrance to the city.
To the left is the Duomo, that is the principal church of the city. Our earliest records of the Duomo are found as soon as the XI century, we see that it was rebuilt in 1624 by Longhena, who was also the author of the church of Madonna della Salute in Venice. Immediately afterwards, we encounter the characteristic small church of San Martino, built in 1934. After the turnoff for Sottomarina, on the right, is the church of San Giacomo, one of the oldest structures.
Slightly further on we find the Loggia dei Bandi, which stands out because of its temple-like façade. Then there is the impressive Town Hall, built in 1837 on the site of one of the oldest pre-existing town structures, dated at the XIII century. Next we can admire the church of Sant’Andrea, rebuilt in 1743, and finally the Piazzetta Vigo, whose splendid bridge was the official entrance to the city. The church of San Domenico is also worthy of a visit, for its contains among other things Saint Paul painted by Carpaccio, and the wooden statue of the Christ found floating in the sea and which has always been the object of a particular cult attraction.
Continuing to Sottomarina, the our attention is captured by the church dedicated to San Martino, built in 1712 . Continuing towards the dike, we see the remains of Murazzi (sea walls) built by Venetian Republic in the XVIII century to protect the lagoon from the sea and, lastly, the fort of San Felice, bulwark in the defense of the port from the XIV century on.